Ares I-X Fully Stacked


For the first time in more than a quarter-century, a new space vehicle stands ready in NASA's Vehicle Assembly Building. But will it fly without violent vibrations, and what verdict will the Augustine Commission give the Constellation program? Only time will tell, but for now the Ares I-X is at its fully assembled height of 100 meters (327 feet) and is one of the largest rockets ever put together in the VAB's High Bay 3. Ares I-X rivals the height of the Apollo Program's 364-foot-tall Saturn V. The Ares I-X flight test currently is targeted for Oct. 31. Ares I-X consists of a four-segment first stage solid rocket motor, and a simulated upper stage that represents the weight and shape of the Ares I rocket and Orion crew vehicle. It will be launched in a suborbital arc into the Atlantic to collect data on its flight dynamics and parachute recovery performance.

Full article by Nancy Atkinson on Universe Today

0 comments:

 


NAACAL - Templates Novo Blogger 2008